Sunday, March 10, 2013

Successes and Failures

Last spring I had many hopes and ideas for creating a backyard homestead.  Some of the items on my list were:

1.  raise chickens
2.  build a chicken coop
3.  build raised garden beds
4.  plant raised beds
5.  plant a couple berry bushes
6.  can my bounty
7.  dry my own herbs

The idea was to start small and add on each year.  Almost a year later, only one item has been completed.  I have chickens.  Not the nine I started with, but six beautiful hens.  Three of the nine turned out to be roosters.  The two silkie roosters were ornery.  I can't say that I'm upset that they're gone.  My other rooster was one of my partridge rocks.  He was handsome and I do wish I could have kept him.  With three roosters in the backyard getting their crow on was a bit noisy and I was nervous that the neighbors would complain.  Fortunately it was summer and every house had the windows shut and air conditioner running.  

Winter is now at its end and a few mild days have me thinking of spring and new beginnings.  Those hopes are budding anew and I'm ready to pick up where I left off last year.  I've done some research over the winter about having a chicken friendly yard/garden.  The girls completely destroyed the few plants that were already in the yard last year; though I'm confident they will come back again this year.




I love this time of year when everything seems possible.  I have no idea what I will accomplish this year towards my dream, but each accomplishment puts me one step closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment